Hello amigurumi lovers and beautiful visitors, I wanted to share the free amigurumi patterns for you here. In my article I will share 1 pattern and how to make it for you. At the end of my article, I will share amigurumi patterns that can generate ideas for you.
Yarn: Medium weight yarn (worsted, aran, or 10-ply) (Paintbox Yarns Cotton Aran)
Color A: Head, body, & wings
Color B: Shirt
Color C: Beak, legs, & feet
Hook: 2.75mm (C) hook (Clover Amour)
Toy stuffing (Fairfield Poly-Fil)
Stitch markers (Clover Quick Locking Stitch Markers Small – I LOVE these, they don’t leave big holes in your work!)
Embroidery floss in black for face (DMC Embroidery Floss in black)
Embroidery needle (DMC Embroidery Needles)
Tapestry needle (DMC Tapestry Needle Size 16)
Scissors (Gingher Stork Scissors)
Optional: water soluble marking pen for drawing on your face before embroidering (Wrights Water Soluble Marking Pen)
Optional: pink blush and brush or cotton bud for cheeks
The finished height of Sweet Bird is 8.5 inches. Keep your tension tight and consistent to avoid stuffing showing through.
You can also use lightweight yarn and a size 2.25mm crochet hook to make a smaller Sweet Bird amigurumi. The finished height of this combo is 7 inches. Check out this blog post to learn more about changing your yarn and hook to make different sized amigurumi!
Stıtches & Abbrevıatıons Us Termınology
ch – chain
dec – single crochet decrease
hdc – half double crochet
inc – single crochet increase
inv dec – invisible decrease
rnd(s) – round(s)
sc – single crochet
sl st – slip stitch
st(s) – stitch(es)
3-dc pc st – 3 double crochet popcorn stitch
[ ] – Repeat steps between brackets for the specified number of times
( ) – The number of stitches you should have at the end of each round
3-dc popcorn stitch – See photo tutorial below.
Changing color – Take the last yarn over of previous stitch with new color. Continue working with new color.
Embroidering on crochet – See tutorial here.
Finish off – Watch tutorial here.
Invisible decrease – Watch tutorial here.
Magic ring – Watch tutorial here.
Standing sc – Start with a slipknot on your hook. Insert hook into stitch and make a single crochet as normal. See tutorial here.
All sections are worked in a continuous round, except wings which are worked in rows.
Mark the beginning of each round with a stitch marker.
All stitches are written in US terminology.
Demonstration photos are shown using right-handed crochet.
3-Double Crochet Popcorn Stıtch
1. Make 3 dcs into stitch. Drop loop of last dc from hook, leaving it open above stitch.
2. Insert hook through top of first dc.
3. Place dropped loop on hook.
4. Bring loop through first dc.
5. Ch 1.
6. Fold popcorn stitch towards you when doing your next st so the popcorn stays on the outside of your bird and to ensure a tight stitch.
7. In the following round, make sure to sc in the ch st under each popcorn st.
Sweet Bırd Amıgurumı Pattern
rnd 1: In color C, ch 6, sc 3 in 2nd ch from hook, sc 3 down chain, sc 3 in last ch, turn to crochet down other side of chain (and over yarn tail to avoid weaving), sc 3 down chain (12 sts)
Sl st 1 into next st. Fasten off, leaving a 15-inch tail for attaching. Weave in and cut beginning yarn tail. Set aside until after head is made.
rnd 1: In color A (leave a 15-inch starting yarn tail outside of the top of head for head feathers), start with a magic ring, sc 6 into ring (6 sts)
rnd 2: Inc 6 (12 sts)
rnd 3: [sc 1, inc 1] 6 times (18 sts)
rnd 4: [sc 1, inc 1, sc 1] 6 times (24 sts)
rnd 5: [sc 3, inc 1] 6 times (30 sts)
rnd 6: Sc around (30 sts)
rnd 7: [sc 2, inc 1, sc 2] 6 times (36 sts)
rnd 8: [sc 5, inc 1] 6 times (42 sts)
rnd 9: [sc 3, inc 1, sc 3] 6 times (48 sts)
rnds 10-18: Sc around (48 sts for 9 rnds)
rnd 19: [sc 6, inv dec 1] 6 times (42 sts)rnd 20: [sc 5, inv dec 1] 6 times (36 sts)
Fasten off yarn and weave in ending yarn tail. Attach beak, embroider face, and make head feathers now using the photo tutorials below. Click here to jump to the Shirt & Body section.
Attachıng The Beak & Embroıderıng Face
We’ll now be attaching the beak and embroidering Sweet Bird’s face. The key to embroidering on crochet is to make sure to insert your needle through your stitches and not in a hole between stitches so your thread remains secure.
First we’ll attach the beak in steps 1-5 and embroider in steps 6-12.
Check out this blog post for more tips on embroidering on crochet!
1. Thread tapestry needle and bring yarn to the center of oval.
2. Stitch inner sides of oval together (1 stitch per side).
3. This is what your finished beak should look like. Keep your tapestry needle threaded to attach to head.
4. Insert threaded tapestry needle through top of beak.
5. On side opposite st marker, thread under st on rnd 15. Repeat steps 4 & 5 across beak. Double knot yarn inside head.
6. With 16-in of embroidery floss (all 6 strands), thread embroidery needle & knot end. Bring through st near beak on rnd 14.
7. Make a small stitch up to the next rnd.
8. Bring up thread above last stitch.
9. Make a stitch connecting to previous stitch. Repeat steps 8 & 9 seven more times along eye.
10. To make the lashes bring needle up near end of eye line.
11. Connect to eye line. It’s easiest to insert your needle into a previous stitch hole.
12. Make lashes along eye & mirror steps 6-12 for left eye. Optional: apply pink blush to bird’s cheeks using a small brush.
Makıng The Head Feathers
1. Thread tapestry needle with yarn tail. Bring yarn through center of head.
2. Leave a small loop of yarn on the top of the head.
3. Knot through a st in head to secure loop. Bring needle back through top of head. Repeat steps 1-3 twice more to create 3 loops on head.
Shırt & Body
rnd 1: Using color B, attach yarn to last rnd of head using a standing sc. Sc 4, inc 1, [sc 5, inc 1] 5 times (42 sts)
rnd 2: [sc 3, inc 1, sc 3] 6 times (48 sts)
rnd 3: [sc 7, inc 1] 6 times (54 sts)
rnd 4: [sc 4, 3-dc pc st, sc 3, inc 1] 6 times (60 sts)
rnds 5-6: Sc around (60 sts for 2 rnds)
rnd 7: [sc 9, 3-dc pc st] 6 times (60 sts)
rnds 8-9: Sc around (60 sts for 2 rnds)
rnd 10: [sc 4, 3-dc pc st, sc 5] 6 times (60 sts)
rnd 11: Sc around (60 sts)
rnd 12: Change to color A, sc around (60 sts)
rnd 13: [sc 8, inv dec 1] 6 times (54 sts)
rnd 14: [sc 7, inv dec 1] 6 times (48 sts)
rnd 15: [sc 6, inv dec 1] 6 times (42 sts)
rnd 16: Sc around (42 sts)
rnd 17: [sc 5, inv dec 1] 6 times (36 sts)
rnd 18: [sc 4, inv dec 1] 6 times (30 sts)
••• START STUFFING BODY AND CONTINUE STUFFING FIRMLY UNTIL CLOSED. •••
rnd 19: [sc 3, inv dec 1] 6 times (24 sts)
rnd 20: [sc 2, inv dec 1] 6 times (18 sts)
rnd 21: [sc 1, inv dec 1] 6 times (12 sts)
rnd 22: inv dec 6 (6 sts)
Sl st 1 into next st. Fasten off and finish off.
Wıng (Make 2)
Made in rows. Leave a 10-inch starting yarn tail for attaching. Use normal decreases, not invisible decreases.
row 1: Using color A, ch 7, sc 6 starting in 2nd ch from hook (6 sts)
row 2: Ch 1, turn, inc 1, sc 4, inc 1 (8 sts)
rows 3-5: Ch 1, turn, sc across (8 sts for 3 rows)
row 6: Ch 1, turn, dec 1, sc 4, dec 1 (6 sts)
row 7: Ch 1, turn, sc across (6 sts)
row 8: Ch 1, turn, dec 1, sc 2, dec 1 (4 sts)
row 9: Ch 1, turn, sc across (4 sts)
row 10: Ch 1, turn, dec 2 (2 sts)
row 11: Ch 1, turn, sc across (2 sts)
row 12: Ch 1, turn, dec 1 (1 st)
Fasten off and weave in ending yarn tail. Attach to body using tutorial below.
Leg (Make 2)
rnd 1: With color C, start with a magic ring, sc 6 into ring (6 sts)
rnds 2-15: Sc around (6 sts for 14 rnds)
Fasten off, leaving a 10-inch tail for attaching. Don’t stuff. Weave in remainder of beginning yarn tail. Set aside until after making foot.
Foot (Make 2)
Leave a 10-inch beginning yarn tail for attaching. See foot reference photo below.
rnd 1: Start with a magic ring, sc 7 into ring (7 sts)
rnd 2: Sl st 1 into next st, [ch 3, sc 1 into 2nd ch from hook, hdc 1 into next ch, sl st 1 into next st of round 1] 3 times (3 toes made)
Fasten off and weave in end yarn tail.
1. Insert tapestry needle into wing to hide knot.
2. Insert tapestry needle into a st of rnd 2 of shirt/body.
3. Insert needle from front to back through st on wing. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until you’ve securely connected wing. Weave yarn tail through several stitches to secure.
Attachıng Foot To Leg
1. Using tapestry needle, bring yarn through center of foot.
2. Insert needle through center of leg and out through side.
3. Align closed end of leg at the center of foot (the magic ring’s center). Insert needle through foot near center.
4. Bring needle through center hole of foot, through center of leg, and out side of leg. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until the foot is secure.
5. Weave yarn through leg to secure. Cut excess yarn.
Attachıng Leg To Body
1. Attach leg over rnds 16 & 17 of body.
2. Insert needle through st on round 17 of body.
3. Insert needle through next st of leg. Repeat steps 2 & 3 on rounds 17 & 16 until you’ve secured the leg to 3 stitches on each round. Weave yarn through several sts to secure. Cut excess yarn.
I hope you enjoyed this bird amigurumi crochet pattern!